Project: The Old Davie School
Location: Davie, Florida
The Davie School, designed in 1917 by August Geiger, one of South Florida’s most prominent early architects, opened its doors in 1918 to roughly 90
Today, the Old Davie School Historical Museum is a historic, cultural, social and artistic resource dedicated to providing information and learning opportunities for students and the community.
The Old Davie School Historical Museum shares a ten acre site with two other historically significant buildings which include:
- The Viele House , the oldest residential structure remaining in Davie and is an excellent example of vernacular architecture.
- The Walsh-Osterhoudt House, a vernacular architecture wood frame structure, one of the oldest residential structures remaining in Davie and is significant because it was built during the early agricultural development of western Broward County.
The Old Davie School received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.