PROJECTS

  • All

The Biltmore Hotel Historic Restoration

Project: The Biltmore Hotel Historic Restoration (1925)
National Register of Historic Places

Location: Coral Gables, Florida

Description:
Listed in the National Register for Historic Places, restoration followed the Secretary of State Standards for Historic Preservation. Finishes restoration, structural stabilization, new building services, reconstruction/design of new building to be used as meeting rooms and offices. The restoration process included extensive collaboration with federal, state and city agencies including the City’s Planning and Historic Preservation Boards.

The Biltmore Hotel Historic Restoration

The Biltmore Hotel Executive Center – GableStage at The Biltmore

Project: The Biltmore Hotel Executive Center (1987)
GableStage at the Biltmore

Location: Coral Gables, Florida

Description:
William B Medellin was a member of a group of Architects selected to undertake the Historic Restoration of The Biltmore Hotel. Listed in the National Register for Historic Places, the restoration followed the Secretary of State Standards for Historic Preservation. The Scope of work included, restoration of historic finishes, structural stabilization, introduction of new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. The restoration process included extensive collaboration with federal, state and city agencies including the City’s Planning and Historic Preservation Boards.

 

The Biltmore Hotel Executive Center – GableStage at The Biltmore

Las Olas Beach Club

Project: Las Olas Beach Club
The Lauderdale Beach Hotel (1937)

Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Description:
Facade Restoration and Rehabilitation of the historic 1937 Art Deco/Moderne Hotel designed by Mr. Roy M. France. Compatible Design of a new 28 stories condominium structure built west of the historic hotel.

 

Las Olas Beach Club

Deering Estate at Cutler – Stone House

Project: Deering Estate at Cutler
The Stone House (1922)
National Register of Historic Places

Location: Cutler Ridge, Florida

Description:
The Stone House is a Mediterranean Revival style, 3 story structure with a partial basement designed by Phineas Paist. Exterior walls are reinforced concrete cladded with local oolite limestone. Cuban clay barrel roof tile. Window and exterior door frames are brass and bronze. The interior doors are wood clad with lacquered copper sheathing.

Deering Estate at Cutler – The Stone House received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

Deering Estate at Cutler – Stone House

Deering Estate at Cutler – Richmond Cottage

Project: Deering Estate at Cutler
Richmond Cottage (1896-1917)
National Register of Historic Places

Location: Cutler Ridge, Florida

Description:
The Richmond Cottage is a Vernacular Bungalow Style three story structure. The original two story structure was built in 1896 with a three story addition built in 1917. The Cottage was the private winter residence of Charles Deering the son of the founder of Deering Harvesting Machine Company and International Harvester and brother of James Deering who built the palatial Vizcaya in Miami, Florida.

Deering Estate at Cutler – Richmond Cottage received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

Deering Estate at Cutler – Richmond Cottage

Deering Estate at Cutler – Carriage House & Pump House

Project: Deering Estate at Cutler
Carriage House and Pump House (1916)
National Register of Historic Places

Location: Cutler Ridge, Florida

Description:
The Carriage house is a Masonry Vernacular Style two story concrete structure with cedar shake wood roof shingles built to house Mr. Charles Deering vehicles.  The Pump house is a one story structure originally built to house the water tanks that fed the intricate irrigation system created to supply water throughout the property. Today these buildings house artists in residence studios and classrooms.

Deering Estate at Cutler – Carriage House and Pump House received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

Deering Estate at Cutler – Carriage House & Pump House

The New Hotel

Project: The New Hotel(1937)

Location: Miami Beach, Florida

Description:
Renovation of a two story Art Deco building located within the City of Miami Beach Harding Townsite Historic District. Change of occupancy from a Multi-family Residential Apartment to Commercial Boutique Hotel. Design of new Swimming Pool and detached structure to accommodate a Restaurant, Commercial Kitchen, Public Restrooms and Health Spa.

The New Hotel

Marion Theater

Project: Marion Theater (1941)

Location: Ocala, Florida

Description: 
This Art Deco Moderne style building was designed by Roy Benjamin a prominent architect who designed numerous movie theaters throughout the southeastern of the United States. The scope work included the historic restoration of the Art-Deco façade, lobby and public areas and interior renovation to provide a 326 seats venue not only for films but live performances as well.

Marion Theater

The Freedom Tower

Project:   The Freedom Tower (1925)
Freedom Hall
National Register of Historic Places

Location:  Miami, Florida

Description:
Restoration of historic finishes and significant architectural features.

 

The Freedom Tower

Harry S. Truman Little White House

Project:   Harry S. Truman Little White House (1890) National Register of Historic Places, State Historic Site (1991)

Location: Key West, Florida

Description:
The Little White House was the winter home for President Harry S. Truman and host to other prominent guests such as Thomas Edison, King Hussein of Jordan and several U.S. presidents such as William Howard Taft, Dwight Eisenhower, John F Kennedy, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. Built by the United States Navy in 1890. The house is a late Victorian and West Indian Architecture style, two story wood frame structure with north, west and south louvered porches and gable end roofs.

Harry S. Truman Little White House received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

Harry S. Truman Little White House

The Escape Hotel

Project:   The Escape Hotel (1948)

Location:   Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Description:  
One of the few remaining examples of Mid- Century Modern style architecture in the City of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Develop by Broward County’s prominent contractor Bob Gill. The Tiffany House was the first of Gill’s Tropical Style resorts. The Escape features the first hotel swimming pool open year round, with tennis courts and a nine-hole pitch and putt golf course.

Restoration, Stabilization, Adaptive Re-use of the 17 free standing two story historic buildings . Compatible design of a new townhouse development south of the historic hotel.

The Escape Hotel

The Dice House

Project: The Dice House (1917)  

Location: Kendall, Florida

Description:
Relocation, Stabilization, Restoration and Rehabilitation of the oldest house in the City of Kendal, Florida. A Frame Vernacular, one story Dade-County pine hipped roof structure.

The scope of restoration involved A.D.A. accessibility, removal of non-historic alterations, restoration of historical finishes, new finishes, new doors and windows, new roof, new foundations and complete structural stabilization of the existing wood framing system to meet current building code requirements. The house is currently used as popular Community Center for the local residents.

The Dice House

The Old Miami High School

Project: The Old Miami High School (1905)

Location: Miami, Florida

Description:
Relocation, Stabilization, Restoration and Rehabilitation of the first school built in the city of Miami. The scope of restoration involved removal of non-
historic additions, restoration of historical finishes new finishes, structural stabilization to meet current building codes and window restoration. The
school is currently used as City offices, computer learning center and museum.

The Old Miami High School

The Montgomery Botanical Center

Project: The Montgomery Botanical Center (1932)

Location: Coral Gables, Florida

Description:
The Montgomery Botanical Center is a nonprofit institution established in 1959 by Nell Montgomery in honor of her husband Robert H. Montgomery cofounder of the Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden. The estate has 12 buildings spread out through 120 acres of land. Three buildings were surveyed: The Nell House (1930) designed by Robert Fitch Smith, The Jordahn House (1930) and The Guest House (1930).

The Montgomery Botanical Center received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

The Montgomery Botanical Center

Bass Museum

Project: Bass Museum (1930)

Location: Miami Beach, Florida

Description:
Restoration and Rehabilitation of a 1930 Museum designed by Russell T. Pancoast. The historic restoration of the museum was a component of a new addition to the Museum designed by world renowned architect Arata Isosaki.

Bass Museum

The Kampong National Tropical Botanical Garden

Project: The Kampong National Tropical Botanical Garden
National Register of Historic Places

Location: Coconut Grove, Florida

Description:
The Kampong is located on an 8 acre parcel of land on Biscayne Bay, Coconut Grove, Florida. The site was the home of Dr. David and Mrs. Marian Fairchild, daughter of Alexander Graham Bell.  Four buildings share this beautiful garden:

  • The Fairchild Sweeney House (1928) designed by architect Edward Clarence Green is a two story Mediterranean Style building, with Cuban roof tiles, concrete block and stucco finishes, Mexican clay tile pavers, native limestone and elaborate interior and exterior stone and wood trim.
  • The Schockman Education Center (2007) A contemporary one story concrete, with an open roof terrace and exposed concrete and limestone finishes.
  • The Fairchild Museum (1916) a two story concrete and wood structure with a beautiful adjacent one story limestone building.
  • The Barbour Cottage (1926) a one story limestone, wood and concrete building with metal gable ends roof.

The Kampong National Tropical Botanical Garden received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

The Kampong National Tropical Botanical Garden

The Old Davie School

Project: The Old Davie School

Location: Davie, Florida

Description:
The Davie School, designed in 1917 by August Geiger, one of South Florida’s most prominent early architects, opened its doors in 1918 to roughly 90
students.

Today, the Old Davie School Historical Museum is a historic, cultural, social and artistic resource dedicated to providing information and learning opportunities for students and the community.

The Old Davie School Historical Museum shares a ten acre site with two other historically significant buildings which include:

  • The Viele House , the oldest residential structure remaining in Davie and is an excellent example of vernacular architecture.
  • The Walsh-Osterhoudt House, a vernacular architecture wood frame structure, one of the oldest residential structures remaining in Davie and is significant because it was built during the early agricultural development of western Broward County.

The Old Davie School received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

The Old Davie School

Lily Lawrence Bow Library

Project: Lily Lawrence Bow Library (1939)

Location: Homestead, Florida

Description:
Historic library built in 1939 as a Work Progress Administration Project (WPA) project. A beautiful Mediterranean Revival style, one story building, featuring local oolite stone facades and historic Cuban clay tile roof supported by an elaborate exposed structural roof framing system.

Scope of work included new exterior ramp to provide handicapped accessibility from parking area, A.D.A. compliance of existing toilet rooms, restoration of interior wood finishes, restoration of historic doors and windows and clean-up of the natural oolite stone façade. The Library is now the offices for the City of Homestead Chamber of Commerce.

Lily Lawrence Bow Library

The Congress Building

Project: The Congress Building (1923 – 1925)
National Register of Historic Places

Location: Miami, Florida

Description:
Facade Restoration, Window replacement, Lobby and Storefront Restoration of a 21 story, early twentieth century Neoclassical style, Miami skyscraper. The front facade is cladded with gleaming glazed-terracotta, with an elaborate cooper frieze at the base of the building. The building is listed in The National Registry of Historic Places, therefore the restoration followed the U.S. Department of the Interior Standards for Rehabilitation and Restoration.

The Congress Building

Miami River Park Residential Complex

Project: Miami River Park Residential Complex
The Historic Cottages (1918 – 1919)

Location: Miami, Florida

Description:
The Miami River Park residential Complex an affordable rental community, is located in the Overtown area of the City of Miami. This unique complex is composed of a 14 story apartment building (The Tower), five townhouses (The Villa), and three early 1900’s historic residential buildings (the Historic Cottages).

The scope of work included relocation of the masonry bungalow, restoration, rehabilitation and stabilization of the three historic buildings.

Miami River Park Residential Complex

Belvedere Lofts

Project: Belvedere Lofts
Belvedere Bungalow (1917)

Location: Miami Beach, Florida

Description:
Relocation, Stabilization, Restoration and Rehabilitation of a 1917 wood frame Belvedere Bungalow.

Compatible design of a new five story, fourteen luxury residential lofts with swimming pool terrace and interior covered parking.

Belvedere Lofts

The Stranahan House

Project: The Stranahan House (1901)
National Register of Historic Places

Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Description:
The Stranahan House was built in 1901 by Mr. Frank Stranahan, the founding Father of the City of Fort Lauderdale. The house is a two story wood frame vernacular style structure, surrounded by two story open porches with cedar wood shake roof shingles. Interior finishes are double beaded vertical wood siding walls, tongue and groove hardwood flooring and double beaded wood siding ceilings.

The Stranahan House received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

The Stranahan House

Lake Worth Playhouse

Project: Lake Worth Playhouse (1953)

Location: Lake Worth, Florida

Description:
The Lake Worth Playhouse is the oldest building listed on the register of Art Deco Society of Palm Beach. The Playhouse occupies the building formerly known as The Oakley Theater, a Vaudeville and movie palace built in 1924 by the Oakley brothers. Closed for many years and after a major renovation which changed the style of the original façade to the Art Deco style we see today, in 1975 The Lake Worth Playhouse purchased The Oakley Theater. Today the Playhouse a non-profit organization offers a great variety of cultural events such as alternative films, dramas, comedies, musicals, concerts and serves as cultural outreach to the community.

Lake Worth Playhouse

The Priscilla Apartments

Project: The Priscilla Apartments (1925) – Demolished (2000)
National Register of Historic Places

Location: Miami, Florida

Description:
A three story Mediterranean Revival building with a beautiful four story corner tower designed by architect R.A. Preas. One of the first commercial developments north of downtown Miami. Unfortunately the building was demolished to make room for new development.

The Priscilla Apartments

Fire Station No.2

Project:  Fire Station No. 2

Location: Miami, Florida

Description:

The appearance of Fire Station No.2 is significant as a reflection of architectural tastes and urban expansion in Miami during the 1920’s. Fire Station No.2 is an excellent example of the Mediterranean Revival style as evidence through the articulation of its elevations and the application of decorative ornament. The building is architecturally noteworthy for the use of stylistic features and ornamental details which classify it as a representative structure in the Mediterranean Revival mode.

Although there were several fire stations built incorporating the Mediterranean Revival details, Fire Station No.2 is one of only two remaining stations. A Historical Architectural and Structural Report was prepared by William B Medellin Architect P.A. requested by the City of Miami.

Fire Station No.2

The Corporal Larry E. Smedeley National Vietnam War Museum

Project:  The Corporal Larry E. Smedeley National Vietnam War Museum

Location:  Orlando, Florida

Description:

The Corporal Larry E. Smedley Vietnam War Museum Inc., originally known as National Vietnam Veterans War Museum, was established in the year 2000 by The Vietnam Veterans of Central Florida.

Housed in a 1.69 acre track of land, The museum’s exhibitions include exterior static exhibitions such as a U.S. Navy Patrol Boat River, also known as “River Rat”, a Douglas A-4B Skyhawk aircraft, an A2 Jeep, a Bell UH-1 (Huey) Dustoff helicopter, and the first dedicated monument to fallen Vietnam War Veterans in the State of Florida, with 167 names of men and women from Orange County, Florida. Numerous artifacts from the Vietnam era, a room size to scale firebase recreation model that took eleven years to complete and an educational media/research room are housed, stored and exhibited in “The Main Center” building.

The museum received a grant from Heritage Preservation’s Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) which is supported through a cooperative agreement with the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). The program is managed by “Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. ho selected William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

The Corporal Larry E. Smedeley National Vietnam War Museum

The Barnacle State Historic Site

Project: The Barnacle State Historic Site
National Register of Historic Places

Location:  Coconut Grove, Florida

Description:
The Barnacle State Historic Site was the home of Mr. Ralph Middleton Monroe, one of Miami-Dade County’s most influential pioneers. The site contains two of the oldest structures in Dade County. The Main House, a two story Vernacular Bungalow Style, concrete and wood frame structure with clay tile roof built in 1891 and The Boat House, a two story wood frame structure with hexagon cement fiber roof shingles built in 1887.

The Barnacle State Historic Site received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

The Barnacle State Historic Site

The Gillespie Museum of Minerals

Project: The Gillespie Museum of Minerals (1941)
Stetson University

Location:  Deland, Florida

Description:
The Gillespie Museum of Minerals is Stetson University’s Earth and Science Museum. With a collection of over 15,000 minerals, rock and fossil specimens is one of the oldest and largest in the southeastern United States. Home of the museum is a beautiful two story concrete structure with brick and stucco facades built in 1941 as a private residence.

The Gillespie Museum of Minerals received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

The Gillespie Museum of Minerals

Gold Coast Railroad Museum

Project:  Gold Coast Railroad Museum (1948)

Location:  Miami, Florida

Description:
The museum is located in southern Miami-Dade County in the former Naval Air Station Richmond (NASR) a war world II airship base. The historic Hangars #1 and #2 are home to historic railroad equipment, historic locomotives and the First National Historic Landmark in Miami: the Presidential Pullman “Ferdinand Magellan”. The armor plated railcar used by Presidents Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower.

Gold Coast Railroad Museum received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.

 

Gold Coast Railroad Museum

J. Jacob Hubbard Residence

Project:  J. Jacob Hubbard Residence (1925)

Location:  Miami, Florida

Description:
The best example of early 1920’s Belvedere Bungalow in the City of Miami. The bungalow retains its original configuration and all historic finishes. The J. Jacob Hubbard Residence embodies distinguishing characteristics of the Belvedere Bungalow style, including intersecting gabled roof planes, wide overhanging eaves, exposed rafter ends, beams, decorative timbers, casement windows with Prairie style light configurations, and a second-story belvedere. The prominent front porch, which extends across the east elevation, features flared oolitic limestone piers topped with concrete caps and short wood post supports. The entire structure is covered with wood shingles, a typical characteristic of the style.

 

J. Jacob Hubbard Residence

La Flora Hotel

Project:  La Flora Hotel

Location:  Miami Beach, Florida

Description:
Complete restoration and rehabilitation of a prime example of an Art Deco style building. The hotels is located within the City of Miami Beach Historic District.

Scope of work included A.D.A. accessibility, Lobby restoration, new elevator, reconfiguration of hotel guestrooms, replacement of doors and windows, structural stabilization both exterior and interior, new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

 

La Flora Hotel

The Annie Beck House

Project:  The Annie Beck House (1916)

Location:  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Description:
One of the oldest structures in Fort Lauderdale, the one story Frame Vernacular style bungalow was the home of pioneer Annie Beck and her husband Alfred the first pharmacist of the City of Fort Lauderdale. She was the founder of All Saints Episcopal Church and the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society.

 

The Annie Beck House

The Penguin Hotel

Project:  The Penguin Hotel

Location:  Miami Beach, Florida

Description:
Located within the Miami Beach Historic District, The Penguin Hotels is a 42 room beachfront hotel deigned by Henry Hohauser. A beautiful example of 1940’s Art Deco Style. The original name was the Golden Dawn Hotel. The Penguin name came years later.

The Penguin Hotel

The Security Building

Project:  The Security Building (1926)

Location:  Miami, Florida

Description:
A Neoclassical Revival high-rise structure designed by Robert Greenfield. This building displays the only French Second Empire style mansard roof in downtown Miami. It has a unique curved copper-faced façade edged with an elaborate decorated parapet. The façade is cladded with natural granite and ceramic tile. Styling details include pilasters bordering bay windows and a twelfth-story cornice and frieze.

The Security Building

The Seminole Theater

Project:  The Seminole Theater (1921, 1940)

Location:  Homestead, Florida

Description:
The Seminole Theater originally a Mediterranean Revival style building, opened its door in 1921 as a 500 seats movie theater. The theater was heavily damaged in a 1940 fire, leaving little more than a concrete shell.

In 1940 prolific theater design architect Roy A. Benjamin was hired to rebuild the Seminole, which changed the design to a Streamline Moderne style. The theater remained vacant for many years and after several futile attempts to bring it back to life and after the devastation of hurricane Andrew the Seminole Theater owners donated the building to the city of Homestead.

During a previous attempt to bring the theater back to life, all the interior finishes, seats and partitions were removed leaving only the exposed concrete shell. The auditorium was redesigned with new finishes, a new seating layout to accommodate 480 seats with improved sightlines and enhanced lighting and acoustical systems making it a state of the arts preforming arts center.

William B Medellin Architect P.A. as the historic preservation consultant for the project was responsible for the restoration of the historic facades, including the re-painting of the exterior walls to match the original historic colors; re-installation of missing historic elements such as the historic “Starburst” fretwork over the transom entrance doors and the historic travertine wainscot using historic salvaged travertine found at the Theater’s storage room; and the restoration of the interior lobby stairs and railings, the only historic interior element remaining in the building.

The Seminole Theater

Vizcaya Museum and Gardens Farm Village Stabilization

Project:  Vizcaya Museum and Gardens Farm Village Stabilization
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens

Location:  Miami, Florida

Description:
Villa Vizcaya, was built between 1914 and 1922. A Mediterranean Revival style building, was the winter home of Mr. James Deering of the Deering McCormick International Harvester Company.

In 1952, James Deering’s nieces, Barbara Deering Danielson and Marion Deering McCormick handed over the Vizcaya estate and art collection to Miami-Dade County.  Today, the estate is known as Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, and in 1995 was declared a National Historic Landmark.

The farm village located west of the Museum and Gardens is a collection of ten historic buildings built following the vernacular design style of northern Italy. William B. Medellin Architect P.A., was selected to provide professional architectural services for the stabilization of seven of the ten buildings: The Superintendent’s House, Dairy Barn, Staff Residence, Poultry Barn, Mule Barn, Carriage House and the Communication’s Building and Nursery.

The scope of work included: Field measurement, preparation of existing conditions drawings, and preparation of a Condition’s Assessment report with Stabilization Recommendations. Report and Recommendations included a cost estimate of “stabilization” work required and an Action Plan describing specific courses of action to be taken for each of the stabilization elements identified.

Vizcaya Museum and Gardens Farm Village Stabilization

The MacFarlane Homestead Historic District

Project:  The MacFarlane Homestead Subdivision Historic District (1917, 1930)

Location:   Coral Gables, Florida

Description:

The MacFarlane Homestead Subdivision Historic District was locally designated by the City of Coral Gables in 1989. The Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994 for its significance in the areas of Architecture, Community Planning and Development, and Ethnic Heritage. It is the only historic district listed in the National Register of Historic Places within the City of Coral Gables. The wood frame “vernacular” style properties within the district were built between 1920’s and 1030’s.

William B Medellin Architect P.A. was selected to provide professional architectural services for the historic restoration and stabilization of four historic residences located within the historic district.

The scope of work includes restoration of exterior and interior finishes, replacement of doors and windows, structural stabilization, re-construction of missing documented historic architectural elements and introduction of new electrical; mechanical and plumbing systems. The project is currently in progress.

The MacFarlane Homestead Historic District

The Al Capone Estate

Project:   The Al Capone Estate (1927)

Location:  Miami Beach, Florida

Description:
Historic Restoration, Rehabilitation and Compatible Design of the 1927 Mediterranean Revival Estate, home of the notorious and famous outlaw Al Capone. The Scope of work  included exterior restoration of the historic facades, complete interior renovation, doors and window replacement, structural stabilization, new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. Design of a new detached three car garage and a two story guest house. Project completed up to Construction Documents Phase.

 

The Al Capone Estate

The Sheridan Apartments

Project:   The Sheridan Apartments

Location:  Miami Beach, Florida

Description:
Certified Historic Restoration and Rehabilitation of a 1925 Mediterranean Revival multi-family building located within the City of Miami Beach Historic District. The Scope work included Structural Stabilization, Historic Restoration of exterior facades and main lobby finishes, interior remodeling to accommodate 18 apartment units with new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

The Sheridan Apartments

The Brompton Manor

Project:   The Brompton Manor

Location:  Miami Beach, Florida

Description:
Certified Historic Restoration and Rehabilitation of a 1925 Mediterranean Revival multi-family building located within the City of Miami Beach Historic District. The Scope work included Structural Stabilization, Historic Restoration of exterior facades and main lobby finishes, interior remodeling to accommodate 21 apartment units with new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

The Brompton Manor

Belvedere Lofts

Project:   Belvedere Lofts, Belvedere Bungalow (1917)

Location:  Miami Beach, Florida

Description:
Relocation, Stabilization, Restoration and Rehabilitation of a 1917 wood frame Belvedere Bungalow.  Compatible design of a new five story, fourteen luxury residential lofts with Swimming pool terrace and interior covered parking. Project completed up to Construction Documents Phase.

 

Belvedere Lofts

The Crystal Apartments

Project:   The Crystal Apartments

Location:  Miami Beach, Florida

Description:

Certified Historic Restoration and Rehabilitation of a 1925 Mediterranean Revival multi-family building located within the City of Miami Beach Historic District. The Scope work included Structural Stabilization, Historic Restoration of exterior facades and main lobby finishes, interior remodeling to accommodate 22 apartment units with new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

The Crystal Apartments