Project: The Kampong National Tropical Botanical Garden
National Register of Historic Places
Location: Coconut Grove, Florida
The Kampong is located on an 8 acre parcel of land on Biscayne Bay, Coconut Grove, Florida. The site was the home of Dr. David and Mrs. Marian Fairchild, daughter of Alexander Graham Bell. Four buildings share this beautiful garden:
- The Fairchild Sweeney House (1928) designed by architect Edward Clarence Green is a two story Mediterranean Style building, with Cuban roof tiles, concrete block and stucco finishes, Mexican clay tile pavers, native limestone and elaborate interior and exterior stone and wood trim.
- The Schockman Education Center (2007) A contemporary one story concrete, with an open roof terrace and exposed concrete and limestone finishes.
- The Fairchild Museum (1916) a two story concrete and wood structure with a beautiful adjacent one story limestone building.
- The Barbour Cottage (1926) a one story limestone, wood and concrete building with metal gable ends roof.
The Kampong National Tropical Botanical Garden received a Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), a federal agency. The program is managed by” Heritage Preservation” based in Washington D.C. who contracted William B Medellin Architect P.A. to perform an Architectural Assessment of the existing conditions.